Monday, January 12, 2015

Sailor Moon S Episode 30 - Awakening of the Messiah of Silence? Stars of Destiny

Pretty soon I'll be finished with this season. Two more months, and I will finally have watched all of Sailor Moon S. Then I can move on to SuperS. Or SS. Actually I'll just call it SuperS because SS sounds way wrong.

Thanks to the new anime season having finally started up, I feel that I may have something to look forward to now. My little reward for suffering through these wretched piles of refuse.

Though if Aldnoah winds up getting any better I might need to pick up another crappy show to balance because wow is that a great show.

(Also it seems I have another terrible friend that keeps asking me to watch some shit show called Freezing. Perhaps if I give up on one of these others I may.)

Enough talk. Time for... other talk now.

That sounded smarter in my head...

So according to the episode overview, today SATAN AWAKENS. OR something. DUN DUN DUUUUN. Roll the intro and let's move along! The plot train is now leaving the station and it's a one way express TO HELL.

The episode opens with Rei running through the dream streets and then everyone turning to stone and some Death Star explosion going on. Also we get a glimpse of the Messiah! Or something.

You can tell they're a big deal by all the light surrounding them.
So Rei calls out for the Messiah to save everyone in her weird dream and well, she seems to have other plans.

"Look kid, that's great and all but I have a can opener, so unless
you're asking me to open up a can of whoop-ass on you shut up."
Then Rei died in her dream because the Messiah done killed her. Whoops! Who the hell is that girl in her dream that totally looks exactly like Hotaru? WHO IS IT?? (Spoiler alert: It's Hotaru.)

So now all the girls are at their study group thing at Rei's place or something, and Chibiusa shows up and is all "yo I know you're busy with your entrance exams and stuff and I promise I'm not here just to play but I was kinda wondering if we could go play for a bit because I'm bored and lonely and have no friends except for the sickly girl who might be a little bit evil."

That's a fine way to refer to your MOTHER.
See, there's this planetarium opening up or something. And I guess she wants to go? And because it HAS to be loosely related to the rest of the plot somehow...

Japan, sometimes I just don't understand you.
Oh yeah and Chibiusa was on her way to invite Hotaru too and figured she'd swing by.

... has everyone forgotten the girl is possessed or something by a demonic spirit? Because I'm pretty sure that was a thing that happened. But they all decide to head out there tomorrow, and then Mina is like "wonder why those other girls are so interested in that demon-possessed girl?" GEE I WONDER WHY. Then they start recapping some other major plot points like, that the dudes are still trying to gather pure hearts and stuff.

Once again the smartest girl in Japan forgets all about
THE MOST OBVIOUS THING.
But, to be fair, I did go back and revisit the post I made where Hotaru totally f***ed a bitch up. And I suppose that it can be argued that they never saw Hotaru's little freakout.

I still maintain, however, that for a girl who can establish patterns of behavior based upon a single isolated incident that she should BE ABLE TO SEE THAT WHICH IS CLEARLY BEFORE HER.

Rei finally has a "HOLY SHIT" moment and goes "wait what if Hotaru is that girl in my dream who murders me with a can opener?" and then Chibiusa is all "oh yeah you'll pay for me and Hotaru to get in to the planetarium riiiiiight?"

And then that awkward silence for like ten seconds until the girls turn to Usagi and go "yeah so uh, you're kind of her mom so..."

Trust me, I'm just as disturbed by this thought as you, Usagi.
Then the scene gets even more awkward as Chibiusa rubs up on her future mother and Rei continues to have nightmares about her nightmare while she is wide awake.

Now we get to check in on those other three girls who are hunting for the Messiah before Hotaru goes crazy or something. Also, they are pretty sure that her dad is super crazy evil dude. I'm sure his glasses have nothing to do with this whatsoever.

Also, is it just me or does Michiru look completely different?

I can't shake the feeling that someone's had a makeover.
Oh and Michiru is also having the same crazy dream as Rei or something and is starting to suspect she saw Hotaru totally shaking some bitches with a can opener. In fact she's beginning to think that the Messiah of Silence is wielding the Silence Glaive. Which is the trademark weapon of...

Oh shit son, evil Sailor Scout!
And if the Sailor Scout of Ruin is behind all of this... well, everyone's just plain screwed!

... gee thanks Michiru for that vote of confidence. But Haruka seems to think that, so long as she hasn't awoken to her powers of mass destruction, there's still a chance if they uh, do something first I guess? So yeah there's that.

Now we get to check in with Creepy Doll Princess who talks abut how soon, silence will cover the planet and they will win. Also, it seems that she was chosen for her role... as opposed to being the person orchestrating this whole ordeal?

Wait, now I'm confused even more. I thought the professor was behind this whole thing at first, but then it turns out he's working for someone, and I thought that the possessed girl was the one he was working for but now it just turns out that's not even the case either? Who the hell is pulling all these strings?! We have a very unclearly-defined organization here, and it's starting to confuse the hell out of me.

Like, if the professor isn't the boss, yet he's basically the guy in charge...? Also he's basically worshiping his own daughter right? Also, what's the deal with all of the split personalities?

There is so much here going on that I can't even keep track of it all at this point. So we'll just keep moving along.

So blah blah if you want her to wake up early you'd better get her some pure hearts or something, maybe sacrifice a few virgins on a rock, so on and so forth. Then she rips a stuffed bear in half and tosses it over and is like "yeah maybe you should try keeping me happy or some shit, be useful."

WAIT SO NOW YOU ARE IN CONTROL OR SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WHAT THE F**K IS GOING ON. HOW DOES THIS RELATIONSHIP EVEN WORK.

Elsewhere in the basement of the city, Mimet is watching Thomas Harris talk broken English on her computer when she should be working. So... it's basically just another day at the office for her. A day where nothing ever gets done.

Your reception really, really sucks down here. Also I thought
he was a RADIO DJ????
But you just said you were covering the top... oh nevermind.
Sometimes, the logic of this show just astounds me.

Now you're just picking numbers.
So in the top fifty, number ten was number thirty last week. Am I the only one seeing a trend here? Mimet's phone rings, she's all "oh yeah I got a thing, at a planetarium sure I'll go get the thing." And then he's all "you are my last hope so please don't f**k this one up" and he begins to reminisce about... something.

Does he seriously have an electric snow-globe?
WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?!
Then he has another one of those laughing fits and now we are over at school where Hotaru thinks someone is calling out for her but it's actually someone else. SO ALONE. Oh wait but there's Chibiusa SO YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THE UNIVERSE. Come to the planetarium? RIGHT NOW? You can't go home! You should just go do things with other people!

Also, I think Rei is acknowledging the fact that they are terrible role models but advocating listening to them anyways.

I'm sure it'll be just fine.
Chibiusa promises to apologize to Hotaru's dad later, so they're off to the planetarium! Where that English-speaking DJ can apparently speak Japanese. He tells some stories about the constellations, and it turns out that about half of the audience in this freaking planetarium are related to the plot. Because you have all of the Sailor Scouts, which are your core five plus pink, plus the other three, plus Hotaru, and also plus Mimet. That's a lot of people trapped in one room together.

So Michiru and Haruka decide the narrator is probably the target after spying... Mimet I'm guessing? And they prepare to get ready or something. But look, those other girls are here with Hotaru so hey maybe this will work out for the best.

Then we see Mimet holding her metal briefcase, chuckles, glasses shine, and COMMERCIAL BREAK. Good lord.

After the commercial break, people are still staring at fake stars, but then Usagi looks back to see Setsuna, and... next thing we know the girls step out to have a chat with her.

... wait what??

Yes, please tell us because everyone is confused at this point.
So Setsuna finally decides that it's time she came clean and let them all in on what's going on. To tell them about their little plan to keep the world from ending.

Well that... was anticlimactic.
Oh yeah by the way that premonition thing that Rei has been having is kind of a warning, and that's kind of the thing they're trying to stop.

Wait... what?
Suddenly it's time for everyone to see Rei's crazy dream so I guess they just need to... put their... hearts... into her staff...?

Y'know, I'm starting to think that a few things may have been lost in translation here.

They all close their eyes and we get to see that crazy dream YET AGAIN, and everyone experiences it this time. Everyone gets terrified, and the city blows up and stuff, and if the Messiah of Silence wakes up then this is the kind of shit that will go down. Oh yeah and did we mention that she's a Sailor Scout? Yeah...

They're going for the subtle approach here.
So now everyone is on the same page! And soon she'll be waking up and stuff. But then screaming! Turns out someone farted or something.

Either that or passing out gas. Ha haaaa I am so clever kill me now.
Today's monster finally shows up! And OH GOOD GOD WHAT.

Okay. So today we have a Vegas stripper. That's... oh god.
Today's monster is literally a Vegas stripper. That's the only place you see shit like this. THE ONLY PLACE.

Oh and she shoots giant black stars out of her forehead and rip through everything, leaving perfect star-shaped holes in things.

Like the planetarium dome.
She smashes the glass box the DJ was in, and decides its time to be loud and annoying. Quick, grab the dude's heart! But not until Mimet gets an autograph.

Oh but then Mimet pulls out a staff and uses her "Charm Buster" to... uh... what's going on here?

I think she is actually charming them to death.
Good thing Hotaru and Chibiusa are fine! And by fine I mean, Hotaru is having a seizure and Uranus is all "yo uh, I know she's your friend but I kinda wanna see her writhe in pain a little longer to see what happens."

Then the Sailor Scouts show up to save the day and be mad about... wait where did the audience go??

People were still standing around and stuff like ten seconds ago.
So Mimet gets mad, and... I can't help but laugh about what's casually going on in the background.

Seriously, today's monster is just... something else.
Aww, she's not allowed to eat a dude's heart suddenly because she has to fight. Man, what a drag! She looks so disappointed.

"Bitch if you do not make up your damn mind..."
So Mimet leaves with the projector and the star stars shooting stars around, while Hotaru looks about ready to devour a small continent. But then someone shatters Uchoten's little black star on her head, and instead replaces it with a big ol' rose.

Suddenly she is considering changing her entire themed outfit.
But while that was a nice thought she's actually wearing a pot under that hat and... okay. Yeah.

I get it, she's projecting.
Stars are flying all over the place, and Hotaru stands up while gasping for breath and then finally achieves freakout status maximum, complete with innocent singing in the background.

THE SLEEPER HAAAAS AWAAKEEEEENED.
So yeah. Hotaru? She's kind of a big deal and a sailor scout and stuff. Also, she is kinda pissed and just paralyzes the monster so Sailor Moon can use her grail so she can use her grail.

Seriously, why does she have to use it TWICE? Can't she just use it once and be done with it?

After the agonizingly long attack sequence, the monster gets pummeled with a giant heart, and her true form is revealed.

Man, I remember having something like that growing up...
But then after the sealing Uranus does a World Shaking and Neptune follows up with Deep Submerge, and hell even Pluto gets into it with a Dead Scream because THEY ARE GONNA OBLITERATE SOME SHIT.

Y'know, I for one am all for this sudden shift in the story.
Sailor Moon steps in just in time to keep both girls from getting pummeled, and it's time for some hot Sailor Scout on Sailor Scout action. That's Sailor Saturn and they can't let her wake up or it will mean the end of the world. Which means she needs to die first!

Our heroes are, as you might imagine, not very pleased with this. Even if she is evil, and even if she probably is going to destroy the entire world, Hotaru is still a person who deserves to be able to live, so you should just step on back or else shit is going to be getting super real.

I hate to admit it but I kind of agree with bubblegum here. Has
anyone actually bothered to look at any of the alternatives?
Yeah no they're kind of happy with the Kill Saturn plan. Oh but then the girl just vanishes, and reappears in her bed back home, while.... Kaori kinda... laughs?

Then the professor is talking to some... Pharoah Ninty?

Wait what?

Wait are you talking to the electric snowglobe? Is that what's
happening here?
And inside the snowglobe is......?

... something that should be narrated by Carl Sagan.
End episode!

... wait. Okay so... Kaori is dead, but not dead? I'm confused. I thought she lost her powers after driving off a cliff? If she's not a witch anymore, what's the point?

There are so many questions that I have. But I will say this.

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Especially the shit with Hotaru.

I for one am looking forward to seeing this wrap up. I just wish they could have gotten into this stuff sooner, because this? This is what makes the show interesting in my opinion. THIS has potential.

Also, every time Hotaru has one of her little freakout episodes, she gets some amazing animation to go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment