Sunday, February 23, 2014

Moonlight Punishment - Observations, Aspirations, and Other Junk

Hi there folks.

Maybe you are new around here. Or maybe you've been a reader for quite some time now. Whatever the case, I hope that you'll take a moment to read this, because I think it's time for me to address this blog proper for a change, considering I'm not sure I've really talked about it outside of just a passing comment here or there.

So, you know, it'd actually mean a lot to me if you'd click after the jump to read what I have to say. (Also it would mean a bunch if you'd tell your friends and family and pets about this blog too. Pets are people too, though I fear much of my humor may go over their heads, I trust your judgment is better than mine though.)

So, uh, wow.

While it hasn't quite been a year yet, it's close enough for me to say it has been almost that long since I attempted to devote myself to providing regular content here. While life hasn't allowed me to maintain that pace the entire way, I can safely say it's kind of been an interesting, terrifying, and at times nightmare-inducing journey so far. It honestly is painful to watch some of these shows. And in the case of Wanna Be the Strongest!, it was actually hard to not attempt clawing my own eyes out at certain points. Because oh good GOD how do you make something that fantastically shitty and make money off of it that's some total Uwe Boll bullshit right there sweet Jesus.

With that having been said, the entire time this project has been going, I've been studying... well, the statistics that come along with running this blog. How people find it, how things spread through social media, you know. Boring stuff. What can I say, I like boring things sometimes. Like statistics and knowing whether real actual people are reading this and not just the millions of internet robots that click on random shit for whatever nefarious purposes they may have.

And I've got to say, I've found some... interesting things. For one thing, apparently you can now easily find my blog through Google. That's kind of cool. But also I guess it somehow shows up when people search things such as "popping a stiffy". No, that's not even a joke. That is an actual thing my Analytics thing tells me has led one person to this blog at some point during the last week.

Fascinating, isn't it?

Then there's your usual search terms, the anime-related stuff, the people wanting to see perverted things happening to the Sailor Scouts, folks looking up when a specific thing happened, you know. Weird stuff. But more interesting to me is that some people seem to be picking up on the term "Moonlight Punishment" when searching for anime. Almost as if they are specifically searching for that kind of content.

Now that's kind of funny, isn't it? I don't often get requests for shows. Except for THAT ONE GUY WHO IS POSSIBLY MY BEST WORST FRIEND BUT THAT IS OKAY I FORGIVE HIM SO LONG AS HE STOPS RECOMMENDING SHIT INVOLVING LITTLE GIRLS. SERIOUSLY MAN WHAT IS YOUR DEAL WITH THE MOE.

Also, Free! was a show that I never would have thought to pick up and watch, only to later regret, if it were not brought to my attention (and specifically requested that I attempt to utterly destroy, which met with... well, pretty much the results I expected, sadly enough). By the way, that show, as predicted, has in fact had a season two announced for this summer. And I'm not even surprised, because... well let's face it. It hit its target demographic super well.

So why am I writing this thing? Well, frankly it's because I wanted to take a moment to connect with my readers. You folks. The silent few who actually continue to read this blog on a regular basis. For the longest time, I've been struggling with a question that has been really difficult to answer: How many people actually read this blog?

By my estimates, I think I've got maybe about 20 regular readers. That's not bad. But you know, I'd like more. Unfortunately, the way the Internet works, if something is shit, people just go "oh it's shit" and look away. Which sucks, because I'll never know why they didn't like it. Similarly, I don't know what it is that keeps those 20-ish readers coming back. Am I funny? Do you honestly like the tidbits of information I feed to you? Are there things which just aggravate the hell out of you, or have I struck a decent sort of balance at this point?

See, I created this blog with a very simple premise: I was going to watch Sailor Moon and the only way I was ever going to get that done was to find some weird way to make it happen. And I was gonna watch all of it or so help me. Best way to do that? Make a blog about it. And I started to think of other things I could do. Maybe I could talk about anime in general, and identify the things that are just completely, horribly wrong with it.

And believe me if you've ever read this blog you'll see there are a ton of things wrong with this stuff. I mean my god.

Recently, I've started some other experiments regarding this blog. Because really, in the end, it kind of is an experiment, as well as a window into the brain of someone that is stupid enough to actually force themselves to watch something that they utterly despise. That anyone with half a brain would despise. These experiments involve advertising the blog through banner ads and the like, trying to use the Facebooks and the Twitters to get some more people to look here and see if they like it. And it's met with, well, a little bit of success. After all, I seem to have about 20 regular people reading it now, right?

Well, that's where I'm not sure. Because this is a one-way street, and that's something I would really like to change. I'm used to people commenting on things, and critiquing our works. The most interaction I've gotten is a couple of friends telling me what they think. Or asking what in the love of god is even going on in this show holy shit what. It's kind of a mixed bag of reactions I guess.

Which brings me to the point of this post: I want to interact with you, the readers. I mean heck, I'm sure you have feelings about this blog one way or another. Are you amused? Entertained? Enraged that I am attacking what you believe is the single greatest animated epic the world will ever see? I want to open a dialogue with you. All of you. Even the batshit crazy nutballs who want to defend the romantic relationship between a middle-school girl and a dude in college.

... that is never going to be not creepy I swear to god.

I'm not sure if I realized this when I started, but lately I've discovered that I really would like to interact with people through this blog. To get to know what people like, what they want to see, or hell, if they even agree with the things I'm saying. (Fair Warning: My opinion is always right and you will never win an argument flame war starto lols)

What I'm getting as is that I would like for this to help generate discussions. And given that I spend a decent amount of time providing content here, I can only do so much, outside of putting content out there on the Internets for people such as yourselves to comment upon.

Also with that said, I figure maybe people are just having a hard time figuring out how to get hold of me, for those folks that don't know I also have a Twitter or such. Which is another thing I've been struggling to decide upon how to handle, but hey, one thing at a time.

If you didn't already know, you can just click here to follow me on chirpy-chirps. Or rather click there to get my feed and you can do the rest from there. I also went through the trouble to attempt designing a rather horrible (but intentionally so) super popular social media site page. So you can clicky that, and if you're the kind of person who spends all day playing Candy Crush on their IberryDroid, and love knowing what your sister had for dinner last night, you now have two super ways to know the very moment I post things. If you're into that I guess.

Those are also two very good ways to get in touch with me. You know, to ask me what I think of stuff, or to recommend shows you think should show up at some point. I've already had to turn down a few because they just aren't quite bad enough (due to being better than Free!), or are shows I actually genuinely like despite their faults. Like the Star Ocean anime. Or Kiddy Grade. Or Solty Rei. I mean hey, that show had issues but at least they tried. It's a show I would still recommend.

With that having been said, what do you as my readers want to see? What kind of content would you enjoy reading more about? What kinds of content do you simply not care for? Are there ways I can improve the blog? If so I would honestly love to hear your suggestions. 

Regardless, this is a thing which will be going on at least until I finish watching Sailor Moon in all of its entirety. That much is for sure. So that's a couple of years at least. Beyond that? Who knows? Does anybody other than me even care?

And that's something I'd like to know. Because I am interested in all kinds of incredibly stupid things.

Also, I may attempt to begin redesigning the pages in the near future. At the least I want buttans that say "click me" so you can do things like hop on the chirpy-bird or open my lifebook or even, shock and horrors, attempt to forward me all of your spam mail.

Though that last one would truly be a dick move.

The dickest of moves. So don't do that.

Let me know what you think, one way or another. You can comment below. Or you can contact me in one of those other manners. Or if you want to write me an incredibly long and scathing message filled with the unbridled rage of a thousand horny teenaged girls, you could always send me an email of sorts too. I mean who knows, maybe you would like to write me a fifteen page essay on what you think about what I think about the career choices of other people. I mean who knows?

Certainly not me.

Anyways, thanks for reading all of this. I hope to hear from you guys soon. Otherwise I'm just literally going to keep doing the same thing over and over again.

But hey, maybe you like that kind of thing. Who am I to judge?

No comments:

Post a Comment